Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A telephone conversation in Tanzania.

The telephone conversation went like this:
(Note: this is a real-life emergency that happened yesterday)

ME: Hello, please could you put me through to the Clinic, I have an emergency and would like to see the gynecologist as soon as possible. 

OPERATOR 1: Ok please hold.....

.......

OPERATOR 2: GHALLO?

ME: Hello Ma'am (my mother taught me well) please can we come and see the RUSSIAN gynecologist right now - I have a friend that's got an emergency.

OPERATOR 2: ..... GHALLLO?!

ME: HELLO MA'AM, DO YOU HAVE SPACE FOR ME NOW?

OPERATOR 2: OH, ghallo, yes, you can come.

ME: Is the RUSSIAN gynecologist there?

OPERATOR 2: Yes, you can come, what is the patient's name?

ME: Mary. Please confirm if the RUSSIAN gyne is there - I can't remember her surname, I think it starts with a S.

OPERATOR 2: Yes, you can come.

ME: Thank you, we'll come now to see the RUSSIAN gyne. Goodbye.

OPERATOR 2: OH, she's not here, she's on leave.....

ME: ...........



Don't you just love it. If it wasn't my first day back after two weeks in a semi-1st-world-country, I would reacted very, very badly indeed.

I am pleased to report though that my friend, Mary, is ok and nothing is wrong with her or her baby. Just mama's low blood pressure. 

Guess who told us this: the Philippino gynecologist........

~desert rose~

No comments:

Post a Comment