Thursday, February 11, 2010

Great Expectations


A couple of nights ago I watched one of my favourite movies…again! The Bridges of Madison County make me cry buckets every time. It is one of the most beautiful but haunting love stories and the final scene stays with me for days afterwards.

“This kind of certainty comes but once in a life”. The famous line from Clint Eastwood’s character has been dissected, debated and discussed at many a girls nights. I am not married and with my disaster of a love life I am in no position to answer if that kind of certainty does indeed exist. I would rather like to refer to another quote in the movie that I can relate to very intimately. In the notebooks that Francesca keep on her affair, she writes: “I realized love won’t obey our expectations, its mystery is pure and absolute.”


(Image from: cesarica.byethost2.com)

I thrive on expectations. Add to that a vivid and lively imagination and there is hardly space for a cloud in between all the castles I build in the sky! But things wont always go according the plan and people will fail you. This applies to nearly all aspects of my existence – my love life (especially!), my career, my family, my friends, my car, weddings, rugby games, parties, picnics – you get the picture right? I love to daydream and I am a hopeless romantic. So this begs the question - are all my expectations a good thing, or do I set myself up to be hurt and let down? I think of this especially now, in times when uncertainty rule my every day. Should I rather stick to the glass half empty mentality that says if you expect nothing, you cannot be disappointed and you might just be pleasantly surprised?

But can I really go through life like that! Would that not change the very essence of me? After careful consideration, i.e. a few glasses of wine, I have come to the conclusion that I will rather continue to dream about a great job, muse about my uncertain future and fall hopelessly in love with completely inappropriate men!

I got a Note from The Universe that said: Would you ever take a journey if you know ahead of time that you’d become completely lost, have your heart broken into pieces and sometimes wish you’d never been born? Now, how about if you knew ahead of time that on that very same journey you’d also find yourself, fall passionately in love, and live happily ever after? I have made my choice…

Andizi

No comments:

Post a Comment