Friday, November 12, 2010

Cold Lemon Papaya Soup

Oh, my soul. I asked my dada (cleaning lady, fairy, nanny, cook....) to prepare some peas, rice and chicken for Moo and myself yesterday.

I came back and had the most delicious meal in a LONG time. I was really expecting, boring old peas and rice, with proper fried chicken ( I even tried to tell her, NO MAFUTA (oil) just KIDOGO olive oil (a little bit!)

We were pleasantly surprised when the meal consisted of: cardamom - and might I add perfectly fluffy - brown basmati rice with coconut peas and a Swahili Chicken Curry, with the most exquisite spices. WOW. I should ask her to cook more often!



                                                                                   (Google Images)      

So I thought I'd go through one of my many Swahili cookbooks and find this recipe for the peas so that I could share this with you, but alas, nothing. (will have to wait for that!)
So I chose a recipe I found in the "Swahili Kitchen" cookbook written and photographed by Javed Jafferji and Elie Losleben, my mouth just watered when I read through it! Enjoy with a cold glass of white wine on a warm, tropical afternoon....

Cold Lemon Papaya Soup

1 large ripe papaya
1 cup lime or lemon juice
1 cup orange juice
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or half a small fresh chilli finely chopped)
Black Pepper and salt
Chopped fresh coriander and croutons to garnish

Mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Chill and serve topped with chopped fresh coriander and croutons!

Happy Cooking!

~desert rose~

2 comments:

  1. Hi!



    I'm Ave from Spain and I collect map and flag postcards from all over the world and I wanted to ask if you could send me a written and stamped postcard from Tanzania.

    I would be really happy to add a new country to my collection.

    Please let me know if you can help me with my collection.

    My postcard blog: http://tite-roy-gatra-pc.blogspot.com/

    madeincanarias at yahoo dot es

    Saludos,

    Ave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ave,
    I'd be very glad to send you a postcard! Anytime!

    Keep well!
    ~desert rose~

    ReplyDelete